[Users] Clicking a link in claws-mail opens it in default browser after a very long wait

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 16 16:53:43 CET 2018

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 11:05:34 +0200, Removed GDPR <removed-gdpr at example.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing this issue on openSUSE Leap 42.3 (using KDE Plasma
> desktop). When I click a link in a mail message it opens after 20-30
> seconds (or more) in the default browser (Chromium).
>
> Has anyone any idea if this is a bug or how to fix this?
>
> --
> George

Hi George,

I assume what you want to correct is the 20 to 30 seconds.

First of all, keep in mind that KDE is huge, bloated, entangled, very
dependent on dbus. You're running KDE on top of kdm. Such a setup is
expected to perform considerably more slowly than, let's say, LXDE
running straight from startx. Does "considerably" mean 20-30 seconds?
That remains to be seen.

Your computer could have gotten itself in a state. Perform a top
command, and see if any processes are hogging most/all CPU or RAM. If
so, kill them. If not, power cycle the machine to get rid of any state,
and see if it still has this delay.

The other thing is, we have no idea what kind of hardware is running
this. If you have a 1.5GHz CPU with 2GB RAM, 20-30 seconds is
completely expected, at least when you run Chromium the first time.

SteveT