[Users] Making auth easier: OAuth 2.0 for Google APIs

Brian bvamundsen at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 23:20:06 CET 2018

I've used Claws-mail for over ten years, moving five accounts away from
Seamonley's email and non-standard mbox format.  One
year ago I also moved my wife off Outlook due to all the
extraneous features which aren't used and MS propensity to
constantly update with unneeded features.

So I moved six different accounts for stability  and consistent
standards with mh files. If some of the large email providers decide to
move to (their flavor of) OAuth, then I'll have to either start using
their email in a browser or move from Claw-Mail to another client which
has OAuth.  I realize my simple needs aren't a big  concern for the
developers, but I would like to plan on what to expect from Claws-Mail
and plan a multi month migration if necessary.  At this time, I'm still
connecting to GMail with 2FA turned off since I don't have cell texting.

So would the Claws-mail development team please confirm they will add
the ability to do this by plugin and publish how that plugin API will
function?  Or is the official development team position that Claws-mail
will never support OAuth of any type and users should move to providers
who don't require it if they want to continue to use Claw-mail.

Pax tecum, absit iniuria;
BrianA_MN