[Users] Fwd: Deprecate libcrypt and don't build it by default.

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu Feb 1 03:03:54 CET 2018

Hello, everyone!

The following has been causing some disturbance recently:

| Deprecate libcrypt and don't build it by default.
| https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2017-08/msg01257.html

| The function prototypes for crypt and encrypt are removed from
| unistd.h, and the function prototype for setkey is removed from
| stdlib.h; they do *not* come back with --enable-obsolete-crypt.

Claws Mail still contains compatibility code to decrypt old passwords
which the user has not changed. As I understand it, Claws Mail does
not re-encrypt those old passwords automatically, because it would not
add security before the user would set a customized Master Password
(a feature since 3.14.0).

Are there any plans with regard to this?