[Users] Alignment of column names

Shai Berger shai at platonix.com
Thu Dec 27 22:12:09 CET 2018

On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 17:36:26 +0100
Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 05:05:49PM +0100, wwp wrote:
> >
> > Your only chance would be to modify the source code. Same for the
> > other 'number' columns. Frankly, aligning numbers to the left, I
> > don't see the point.
>
> Maybe when using some RTL scripts perhaps?

Just for the record -- RTL script user here, and numbers are written
LTR. This is true not only when Western[1] numerals are being
used, as in Hebrew, but even for RTL scripts which have their own digit
symbols (the Indic numerals used with Arabic scripts).

This is the main reason we refer to these scripts as
"BiDi" (bi-directional).

Shai.

[1] The proper name of the digit symbols used in Western scripts is
Arabic numerals, but the goal of this message was to clarify, not
confuse.

[2] Hebrew does have a numeric system based on Hebrew letters, which
are then written RTL; it is somewhat similar to Roman numerals. And like
Roman numerals, it is only used for dates and ordinals.