[Users] Question about the extended search

wwp subscript at free.fr
Wed Aug 29 01:10:26 CEST 2018

Hello,

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 18:17:37 -0400 (EDT) DTD <doug at safeport.com> wrote:

> Is there any documentation on how to use the extended search option?

There's not much to learn here, the syntax is quite simple. Improving
the manual on this subject would be a good idea anyway, detailing the
syntax and providing examples.

If you don't feel comfortable w/ this syntax, use the Edit button and
define matching conditions. They'll show in the quicksearch field using
a more explicit syntax.

> For example I have found that you must type "!D" and not "! D"

Right, it's the same for # and % operators, they modify the command
they prefix, for instance:
%s foo
#s foo
!s foo

You can write, in that order:
!%#s foo
(but not #%s foo or %!s foo)

> Also > it would seem to me that U and !R should be equivalent.

This is correct.

> I can not figure out if something like (a & b) or c can be written, or indeed if "(" is recognized.

Parenthesis are not supported. Nested operations either. Operator
priority is given to ! then & then | (it's common).

> What is there is pretty good, if somewhat complex to use. A very simple thing to add would be to allow subsetting the current selection set.

Parenthesis and nesting levels would permit this, this is not planned.
Depending on what you want, chaining conditions using the AND operator
(&) can do it, otherwise you do your first reduction using the
quicksearch then search using Edit/Search folder.

Regards,

--
wwp