[Users] Bogofilter not working for me

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Fri Aug 24 00:19:44 CEST 2018

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 22:23:00 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad at fineby.me.uk> wrote:

> Like most spam handlers, bogofilter needs to be trained.  Ideally,
> with both ham & spam messages.  The more the merrier.

Is 'The more the merrier' actually true? I recently upgraded to claws
3.16.0 and in consequence needed to retrain bogofilter. I gave it the
contents of my spam folder (which currently holds 1400 messages) and I
gave it a few hundred ham messages, since they aren't neatly packaged
in one folder. But whreas previously it was doing a pretty well perfect
job, there are now a significant number of false positives, and they
don't seem to be reducing very quickly.

Am I doing something wrong? And why did I have to retrain it just
because I upgraded? Should I feed it the 40,000 or so ham messages I
have?

> Also, look at ~/.bogofilter/bogofilter.cf and check what the spam/ham
> thresholds are.  You may wish to tweak them in the future, if too much
> spam is being treated as ham, despite training, or vice versa.

$ ls ~/.bogofilter/
wordlist.db  wordlist.kct

no bogofilter.cf ???
There is an /etc/bogofilter.cf but I haven't touched it and it appears
to be entirely comments.