[Users] Quicksearch on Exchange-Servers with release 3.17

Manuel Groß mgr at irimi.one
Tue Aug 21 23:28:15 CEST 2018

Hello,

for some reason I have to use an email account on a Microsoft Exchange
server, which I connect to using Claws Mail via IMAP.

Since the 3.17 release I have some issues using the quick search bar.
Everytime I enter a keyword, I get several popups with an error message
and the logs show me something like this:

> [...]
> [13:25:20] IMAP> 8 UID SEARCH KEYWORD foobar
> [13:25:20] IMAP< 8 BAD Command Argument Error. 11
> ** IMAP error on mail.server.de: protocol error (very probably non-RFC
> compliance from the server) ** IMAP connection broken

I looked around a little bit and found out that the 'SEARCH' command
isn’t very well supported in Exchange[0].
I also found a commit[1] for the latest Claws Mail release, which I
think caused this change of behaviour.

I suspect this command never worked with Exchange before, but now this
error isn’t ignored anymore. The quick search still succeeds in
filtering the messages by the entered keyword (maybe because they’re
synced locally?), but every subfolder of the search location generates
a popup.

I don’t know if that’s something the team does or should care about,
since the server does act non-RFC compliant to my understanding.
But for people that _have_ to use Exchange servers, this might be quite
annoying.

Is this worth a bug report, or rather something that should be fixed
elsewhere? Or is there even a way to configure this, that I might have
overlooked?

[0]
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624767%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx
[1]