[Users] Implementing proper search functionality

Jens Petersen xyzxyz123 at freenet.de
Sat Nov 25 20:55:23 CET 2017

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask  whether there are any plans to implement a proper hassle-free text search functionality for emails. Right now, when I search for some text, Claws is asking me where to search for it. That is not a feasible approach, IMHO. When I want to search through my emails for a keyword, I do not want to enter a specific folger or part of the email. I want to search through ALL emails in ALL folders (including SENT folder) in BOTH header and body, and want to get a list of all emails in which the keyword was found so I can browse them. Plain text searches are so easy and fast that even Calypso email from 1996 on correspondingly ancient hardware could do it in no time, so I wonder why Claws needs to bother me with detailed questions where to search for my keyword. I specify a folder, no that wasn't it. Another folder, still nothing. Was it in the header or in the body? Try one, then the other.

IMHO users should not need to bother about this 19 years after the first email program was released that covered it all without discussion (provided there weren't ones that could do that even prior to Calypso).

So, please, could you make the search restrictions optional (in case anyone really wants them) and add a quick "search for keyword(s) in all folders, in both subjects and email bodies, and list all emails that contain a match" option?

Thank you in advance,

Jens