[Users] Ignoring messages an ongoing conversation unreliable

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Fri Nov 17 09:22:52 CET 2017

On Sun, Jun 18, Olaf Hering wrote:

> Since a few weeks I uses the 'Ignore conversation' feature to automatically mark further replies to the start of a thread as read. This works in >95% of the cases. Sometimes claws still shows me new, unread messages 'deep' in a conversation.

I think the bug is in procmsg_msg_has_flagged_parent_real.
It expects the direct parent to be already available for an entire conversation that is already present locally. The "In-Reply-To" header references just the parent, but the "References" header contains Ids from the entire conversaion. If other messages in that conversation are already marked with MSG_IGNORE_THREAD the current message must be ignored as well, even if the parent is not available. For short: that function must not only use ->inreplyto, but also walk the entire ->references list.

Olaf