[Users] messages with no date

wwp subscript at free.fr
Wed Nov 15 11:00:22 CET 2017

Hello Melchor,

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:18:54 +0100 Melchor MonleĆ³n <mel at ctav.es> wrote:

> version 3.14.1
> modules: Fancy, Bogofilter
>
> some of the emails that i have received appears with no date.
> specifically two of the issuers
>
> in the message source there is no Date field
>
> they say that is my email client that deletes date field.
> they say me:
>
>  "Good morning Melchor,
>
>  Surely the claws-mail deletes some mail metadata
>  electronic, such as the DATE metadata, for not meeting any of the
>  the RFC protocols that this mail client has implemented.
>  I do not know the claws-mail and I do not know what the reason may be,
>  in the rest of email clients does not exist that problem (Outlook,
>  Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, etc.).
>
>  It must be a problem of compatibility with RFC protocols commonly
>  used by mail servers. Check the configuration of
>  claws-mail trying to locate some parameter that mentions something
>  about
>  compatibility or RFC, is surely limiting the use of them.

Unless there is a well hidden bug (never matched so far, never hear of
it), Claws Mail never deletes a header, even less the Date one, that
makes no sense at all. And if I'd have to bet about RFC compliance, it
would on Claws Mail instead on "they" - BTW, who are "they"?

A user error (processing incoming email using a script or scripting
plug-in) is still possible, but I guess you don't do that?

Could you tell us more about the origin of these emails?

Their sentence, "the rest of email clients does not exist that problem
(Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, etc" is not a proof that
those emails are RFC compliant, neither that other email clients are RFC
compliant. They probably just add the missing Date header and set the
receiving date in there, CM doesn't do that by default.

As a workaround, there is a tool to fix email w/ no date field (or w/
broken dates), see fix_date.sh at http://www.claws-mail.org/tools.php?section=downloads.
That tool can be bound to an action in Claws Mail.

Regards,

--
wwp