[Users] Online searchable mailing list archives

flyingrhino flyingrhino at orcon.net.nz
Thu Nov 9 01:18:52 CET 2017

Hi,

This forum has many good people who answer questions for help. For this, I and many others are thankful.
However, I'm sure the same questions get asked again and again.

Can we have a page on the claws website that provides a search inside the mailing list archives - so that people can search for answers themselves, and only if the answer is not already available, then ask for help on the forum ?
This will save a lot of repeated answers and let our members focus on what's really important.

The archives are available already online (http://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/index.html) , so the information is already available. But it lacks a search. Most people won't download and uncompress 50 files in order to find an answer.
Another option would be merging all the gz files into one downloadable archive, and have the corresponding "view by" columns. At least this way it's all in one place and easily searched for in the browser.
Yes, I know a counter argument would be this adds load on the web server. But what's better - human time spent re-answering already-answered-questions? Or a self-help option?

Your thoughts?

--
Rhinos can fly,

It's just a case of mind over matter ...
... And you need a lot of mind to control that much matter ...