[Users] Getting Claws Mail to remember external application for 'open with ...' dialogue

John Hostler john.hostler at ymail.com
Wed Nov 1 18:32:32 CET 2017

Paul many thanks for your prompt reply.

I read the FAQ item, thanks for pointing it out, however it wasn't quite what I needed. It's about how to change the keybinding to activate a given
function in Claws Mail whereas my query was rather about the function itself -- how to get it to remember which external application to use with each
type of attached file.

But prompted by your reply I have experimented further and I now have it working perfectly. What I have learned is:
a) the *first time* you open an attached file of a given file type, use the 'open with' command (default keybinding 'O') and tick 'remember this';
b) thereafter, just use the 'open' command (default keybinding 'L').
It's as simple as that, and I feel a bit dumb for not realising it before!

Of course, as you say, I could change the keybindings to activate those commands ... but the defaults are fine, now that I know them.

Thanks again and good wishes
John

-----