[Users] Moving from Mac Mail to Claws

John Pollard john at pollardweb.com
Mon May 1 13:42:49 CEST 2017

Hi list,

I am a Mac user and developer of software that is deployed to Linux. I am looking at Ubuntu as an alternative to Mac for everything and so far am very impressed with what is available. Switching from Mac Mail to an Ubuntu email client could be a sticking point. Claws seems like a good bet from what I have read and I have had a play. I am concerned about searches:

I can see in Quick Search, Extended, I can do B mystring to search within one email account. But is there a way to search across multiple email accounts at in a single search. Mac Mail handles this very well by default.

Edit, Search Folder… let’s me search Body (for example), but it seems only in the mailbox I am currently viewing, not all mailboxes at the same time.

Searching an inbox of just 700 messages (imap accounts) in Claws for body text took many seconds. Searching body text over 1,000’s of emails takes minutes. On Mac Mail I can search 100,000+ message bodies  in a second.

Are Linux email clients just a long way behind Mac Mail in these respects - am I expecting too much?

Many thanks for any input.

John