[Users] Claws Mail for WIndows 64 bit?

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Wed Jun 14 14:33:30 CEST 2017

On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 12:51:29 +0200
Bjørn T Johansen <btj at havleik.no> wrote:

> I see it says that the 64 bit version is experimental. Should I not
> use it or should it work?

Hi, feel free to give it a try. It works for me on Windows 7 and as
far as I can tell, is exactly as stable as the 32-bit version. However,
several users reported that is is unusable for them due to very
frequent crashes. I have no idea why (and would really welcome insight
of someone experienced with Windows programming/debugging, which I
lack).

That is why it is marked as experimental.

That said, there is barely any reason to use it. Claws Mail is not the
kind of computer program which would hit the limits of a 32-bit
environment. The only real reason we've encountered so far were
calendars (for the vCalendar plugin) with events far into the future
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem). And I suspect that
our recent move to a newer version of the Libical library might have
taken care even of that problem (it's just a guess, though).

Regards,
--
Andrej