[Users] Solved: Issues with Yahoo Mail and claws newly started?

Brian bvamundsen at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 27 21:39:02 CEST 2017

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 09:20:18 -0500
Brian <bvamundsen at yahoo.com> wrote:
.
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 04:02:03 +0000 (UTC)
> Brian Amundsen <bvamundsen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> .
> > Since Tuesday evening I have not been able to connect with Yahoo's
> > imap mail server.  I continually get a login refuse.  I've checked
> > the Yahoo system does have the allow third party apps to access,
> > I've tried imap-ssl<.>mail<.>yahoo<.>com and just straight imap<.
> > both fail. This was all working find until Tuesday.  Any one else
> > experiencing this issue and any work arounds?  I get a message that
> > it is an RFC compliance of server issue?Cheers, BrianA_MN
> .
> --------------------------------------
> So I started researching old issues of third party apps with Yahoo
> IMAP and found one post on mozillaZine that mentioned testing
> authorization of their account with plain-text. So in following this
> idea and after testing with Automatic Authorization setting and
> geting "login-refues" and seeing in the network log that PLAIN and
> LOGIN were tested,  I changed the configuration of claws to use
> Plain-text and every thing began to work. I have always simply relied
> on Automatic authentication and don't know what changed at Yahoo, but
> in case others are having this same issue this seems to correct it.
>
> Out of curiosity, when set to Automatic authentication, which
> "protocols" are used?  All or best guess?
.
--------------------------------------
On IRC it was suggested to post the claws.log to pastebin. It is now
posted and at

https://pastebin.com/zb2BSvaJ

That log shows an RSS error, which is a confirmed server outage by
AlienBob.  The real issues start at 14:12:28 when attempting to log in
to imap dot mail dot yahoo dot com.

The first failure is with the IMAP receive auth type set to AUTOMATIC.

The second failure, starting at 14:14:49, is with the same setting
changed to PLAIN.  In this setting I also get a claws-mail ERROR screen
that states that PLAIN and LOGIN are only supported if libetpan is
built with SASL support.  Before building claws-mail I had built
libetpan and have cyrus-SASL installed first.

The last successful login, starting at 14:19:55, is with the AUTH set to
Plain-text.

BTW I also have a zoho.com IMAP account configured which connects
without issue using the AUTOMATIC setting, and connected each time when
the yahoo.com connections were rejected.

Hopefully this helps one of the dev's to research if this is a
claws-mail build issue or Yahoo server non-compliance.  NOTE the
Automatic setting worked on Tuesday July 25.  I'm aware that some have
noted that Yahoo reported some intermittent login issues which as of
Wednesday are reported resolved. Perhaps their resolve patched a hole
that now requires something new, like a special Third-Party app
password key?

System is Slackware64 multilib with Claws 3.15.0 libetpan 1.8 and cyrus
-sasl-2.1.26

Pax tecum, absit iniuria;
Brian

Addendum: