[Users] Solved: Issues with Yahoo Mail and claws newly started?

Brian bvamundsen at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 27 16:20:18 CEST 2017

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 04:02:03 +0000 (UTC)
Brian Amundsen <bvamundsen at yahoo.com> wrote:
.
> Since Tuesday evening I have not been able to connect with Yahoo's
> imap mail server.  I continually get a login refuse.  I've checked
> the Yahoo system does have the allow third party apps to access, I've
> tried imap-ssl<.>mail<.>yahoo<.>com and just straight imap<. both
> fail. This was all working find until Tuesday.  Any one else
> experiencing this issue and any work arounds?  I get a message that
> it is an RFC compliance of server issue?Cheers, BrianA_MN
.
--------------------------------------
So I started researching old issues of third party apps with Yahoo IMAP
and found one post on mozillaZine that mentioned testing authorization
of their account with plain-text. So in following this idea and after
testing with Automatic Authorization setting and geting "login-refues"
and seeing in the network log that PLAIN and LOGIN were tested,  I
changed the configuration of claws to use Plain-text and every
thing began to work. I have always simply relied on Automatic
authentication and don't know what changed at Yahoo, but in case
others are having this same issue this seems to correct it.

Out of curiosity, when set to Automatic authentication, which
"protocols" are used?  All or best guess?

Looking forward to replies.

Pax tecum, absit iniuria;
BrianA_MN

Addendum: