[Users] Poorly-wrapped text when viewed in external editor

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sat Jul 8 05:13:52 CEST 2017

On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 19:55:20 -0400
George Avrunin <avrunin at math.umass.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 14:40:18 -0700, rikona wrote:
>
> > It looks as though CM inserts the = signs in the file - is this
> > true?
>
> I think Jim Pachowski's comment earlier in the thread is the most
> likely explanation: the = characters are from quoted-printable
> encoding.  This uses the = as an escape to encode 8-bit data using
> printable ASCII characters, and also makes all the lines no more than
> 76 characters long

Yes - all the ones I looked at are like that.

> Can you look at the actual message source for one of these messages
> and see if there's a header saying "Content-Transfer-Encoding:
> quoted-printable"?

Yes - all the = signs do have that header. The HTML that does not
have = has a different header.

SO, how can I view the non-CM file archive with the HTML as what one
would expect for HTML? What tool displays that section as it 'should'
look? Several I tried don't work, and some crash!