[Users] How to convert an account back to IMAP?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Jan 21 20:40:44 CET 2017

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 10:35:47 +0000, Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 02:13:31 -0500
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > In researching this, I discovered that my email account (called
> > mydesk) had magically changed from an IMAP account to a local
> > account, as shown by the screen produced when I do the following:
>
> It's because you used version 3.14.0 or newer, then downgraded to an
> older version, then upgraded again.
>
> To fix it you need to quit Claws, open ~/.claws-mail/accountrc,
> locate the protocol setting of your IMAP account(s) and change it to
>
> protocol=1
>
> with regards
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

Confirmed!

I changed protocol=3 to protocol=1 on one of my accounts, after which
mydesk was once again listed as an IMAP account. After doing "rebuild
folder tree" on it, it behaved correctly, even detecting when I'd read
new mail from my Alpine client.

I didn't change and change back, my rolling release distro did, and
this could happen to anyone using a rolling release, so I'd suggest if
there's a Claws "landmines" document, this symptom and solution be
included in it.

By the way, for the past month Claws has gained all sorts of new
behaviors: Most detrimental, a few handy. I always suspected it was a
versioning issue: Now I suspect that even more.

Thanks,

SteveT