[Users] Synchronizing Folders

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Fri Jan 13 19:49:56 CET 2017

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:13:54 -0500
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> I am using a postfix/dovecot setup on a FreeBSD machine. Claws-Mail is
> running on a Windows-10 PC. I am going to have to rebuild the FreeBSD
> machine from scratch.
>
> Now, if I use <File> <Synchronize Folders> and then rebuild the FreeBSD
> machine, will running that same command, after I have configured
> Dovecot obviously, restore the files to the mail server? I cannot find
> any definitive information on this.

In theory, it is possible, if your Claws Mail's imapcache contains *all*
of the messages (normally, it only keeps the ones you have opened on
that particular Claws Mail account), and if you are willing to convert
the contents of this imapcache back to whatever format your Dovecot
uses as a backend to store your messages and folders.

A much better solution would be to just back up the data directly from
your FreeBSD server before reinstallation, and put them back after you
set up Dovecot again afterwards. If done properly, Claws Mail will
never notice that anything has changed.

Regards,
--
Andrej