[Users] CM 3.16 and Selection when entering a folder

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Tue Dec 19 12:58:50 CET 2017

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 09:58:49 +0100
Slavko <linux at slavino.sk> wrote:

> Ahoj,
>
> Dňa Mon, 18 Dec 2017 22:42:30 +0000 Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk>
> napísal:
>
> > On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 21:38:46 +0100
> > Slavko <linux at slavino.sk> wrote:
> >
> > > Please, is this desired behavior or bug?
> >
> > What you want is the opposite of 'first ...', you want 'last ...',
> > so that's a feature request.
>
> Do you really consider first message in my list as last? In our
> country the lists are counted from top, not from bottom...

There's an ambiguity in the meaning of 'first' and 'last', in
particular in terms of what they apply to. In your mind you see them
applying to the presentation order on screen. In Paul's mind he sees
them as applicable to the order in which the messages arrived.

Short of making the description a lot longer and thereby unambiguous,
or changing it to be perhaps 'top' or 'earliest' and thus hopefully more
descriptive of the attribute it describes and less descriptive of the
attribute it doesn't describe, I think it's something people just have
to learn the meaning of. As ever, writing code carries extra votes!