[Users] Claws Mail 3.15.1 and Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Aug 31 09:35:10 CEST 2017

On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 09:27:22 -0300, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
>Is there a PPA or something that would make this version compatible
>with Ubuntu 16.04LTS? I tried to install the deb and ended with a long
>list of incompatibilities.

To get all required build dependencies you could install them manually,
as I usually do, or seemingly by running

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt build-dep claws-mail # which on my system would install a library for raising indicators via DBus + dev package, but I build without installing those two packages
                              # however, it should install all dependencies to build the version provided by the repositories
                              # building a newer release from git might require additional dependencies
sudo apt install auto-apt     # I never used auto-apt myself, it seems to know what to do, if additional dependencies should be required
sudo auto-apt updatedb
sudo auto-apt update-local
sudo apt remove claws-mail claws-mail-acpi-notifier claws-mail-address-keeper claws-mail-archiver-plugin claws-mail-attach-remover [snip] claws-mail-fancy-plugin
                              # remove all Ubuntu packages, since we just build one package
                              # likely the packages for 16.04 are the same as shown on the left side of the Debian tracker
                              # https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/claws-mail , so a copy and paste should work
                              # but you likely need to add claws-mail-fancy-plugin to this list
                              #
                              # cd /into/a/directory/where/you/want/to/build/claws-mail-git
git clone git://git.claws-mail.org/claws.git
cd claws/
git pull --all                # alternatively: git checkout 404c674
                              # see http://git.claws-mail.org/?p=claws.git;a=shortlog , I'll use 'git pull --all' to build the latest
make clean
./autogen.sh

./configure --build=$(uname -m)-ubuntu-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --disable-jpilot --disable-maintainer-mode --disable-manual --disable-static --enable-bogofilter-plugin --enable-crash-dialog --enable-enchant --enable-gnutls --enable-ldap --enable-pgpmime-plugin --enable-silent-rules --enable-spamassassin-plugin
                              # AFAIK you could replace './confifure [snip]' with 'sudo auto-apt ./confifure [snip]' if additional dependencies should be required
sh version                    # copy the output to the clipboard
make                          # AFAIK you could replace 'make' with 'sudo auto-apt make', too
sudo checkinstall             # 0 -  Maintainer: [ Foo <foo at bar.com> ]
                              # 1 -  Summary: [ A GTK+ based e-mail client - git checkout ]
                              # 2 -  Name:    [ claws-mail-git ]
                              # 3 -  Version: [ 3.15.0-72-gbd6cfc ]  # replace the version with the output you copied from 'sh version'
                                                                     # it's just the last version I build and successfully used with 16.04
                              # 4 -  Release: [ 1 ]
                              # 5 -  License: [ GPL3 ]
                              # 6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
                              # 7 -  Architecture: [ amd64 ]
                              # 8 -  Source location: [ claws ]
                              # 9 -  Alternate source location: [  ]
                              # 10 - Requires: [  ]
                              # 11 - Provides: [ claws-mail ]
                              # 12 - Conflicts: [  ]
                              # 13 - Replaces: [  ]                  # I didn't add anything to all those empty '[  ]'

Today I likely will build latest commit for Arch Linux and Ubuntu 16.04
myself.

Regards,
Ralf