[Users] Running Clawsmail from boot

sue butler suevb01 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 11:03:41 CEST 2017

On 16/04/2017 18:49, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:28:30 +0100
> sue butler <suevb01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My aim is to run Claws from boot, and despite trying various methods
>> I just cant do it, I wonder whether anyone has any suggestions....
> Do you really want to run it from boot?
Sorry - my poor explanation - I want it to start up when the Raspberry
Pi starts. (For example, after a power outage)  I understand about not
running it as root - although I was considering that this might have to
be an option!!  I hoped that just launching it in a Python Script that
runs from the Scheduler (or crontab) would launch it with me as the
user, just as it does when I run the script from the command line.
> Much better to run user applications (such as claws-mail) as your user.
> You may prefer to set it to launch on login, not on boot. How you do
> that depends on your window and session managers.
Am digging about with Google to try to find out more about how to do this!

>> When I start Claws from the command line using/$ claws-mail/ I get a
>> similar response, but the command line hangs until I use ^C although
>> Claws starts up and runs OK.
> Right. Running just
>
> $ claws-mail
> runs CM in the foreground, and blocks the shell. To run it in the
> background and get back the use of the shell, run instead
> $ claws-mail &
> (Note the ampersand.)
Sorry, have tried that, and it still behaves the same way.  I had tried
both approaches in my Python Script too, and it made no difference.
Should I be worried about the Warning I get?

>> I am relatively new to the Raspberry Pi, Linux and Claws, but have
>> managed to work most things out.
> :-) You were bitten by one of the many and subtle differences between
> Windows and Linux/Unix.

Ha ha - I know nothing about Windows either, my main experience of
programming was in the days when you turned up at the "computer room"
with your program on punched cards!  I am on a steep learning curve!

Thanks for your help, and if you can suggest any other options I would
be more than happy to try them.

Sue