[Users] (Solved) Not downloading from Gmail

blind Pete peter_s_d at fastmail.com.au
Mon Apr 3 05:32:42 CEST 2017

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 15:41:12 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 10:22:45 -0800
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
>
> >On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 08:46:10 +0000
> >Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> dijo:

> >>You definitely need that google option turned on. In google's world
> >>'less secure' is a misnomer for apps that don't support OAuth 2.0,
> >>and Claws does not use OAuth.
> >
> >Success! At first it didn't work, so I turned it off. Then because
> >you said I definitely need it I turned it back on, now everything
> >works.
>
> I'm back with continuing Gmail problems. I have two Gmail accounts -
> one for my university created when they moved to Gmail about three
> years ago, and the other is a private account I created myself many
> years ago.
>
> The first problem is that Gmail is constantly changing its
> certificates. I always click on 'accept and save' (should I?) and then
> the mail retrieval proceeds normally.

I am not an expert, but you probably should look at the new certificate
and if it appears believable, curse Google and click on 'accept and
save'.  Consider another service provider?

Is there any reason that CM can not remember that multiple certificates
have been accepted, or is there some reason that accepting a new one
must cause the previous one to be discarded?

> However, lately I have had so
> much trouble connecting that I increased the timeout to three
> minutes, and now I don't get the popup about the new certificate
> until the end of the three minutes. Currently this is only happening
> with the university account, which I access with IMAP. I say it is
> only happening there because I am unable to connect to the private
> account at all, unless I access it with a web browser. The private
> account is POP3 and it was working with Claws Mail as recently as a
> couple weeks ago. Here is what the log says when I attempt to
> retrieve or send mail on the private POP3 account:
>
> * Account 'Gmail': Connecting to POP3 server: pop.gmail.com:995...
> [14:54:11] IMAP4> 61 NOOP
> [14:54:11] IMAP4< 61 OK Success
> [14:55:11] IMAP4> 62 NOOP
> [14:55:12] IMAP4< 62 OK Success
> ** Session timed out. You may be able to recover by increasing the
> 	  timeout value in Preferences/Other/Miscellaneous.
> * Account 'Gmail': Connecting to SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com:587...
> [15:26:11] IMAP4> 125 NOOP
> [15:26:11] IMAP4< 125 OK Success
> [15:27:11] IMAP4> 126 NOOP
> [15:27:12] IMAP4< 126 OK Success
> *** Session timed out. You may be able to recover by increasing the
>   timeout value in Preferences/Other/Miscellaneous.
>
> First issue about the above logs is why does it say 'IMAP4' when it is
> trying to connect to a POP3 server? Also, even though it timed out, it
> continues to add half a dozen more pairs of lines like the above for
> five or six minutes more.
>
> I also wonder about the certificates. What is supposed to happen with
> a POP3 account when there is a new certificate? What f there was a new
> one and I failed to accept it? Would I continue to get popups about
> it? If not that might explain why this account stopped working.
>
> Any other suggestions welcome!

You do still have "Solved" in Subject line.  Starting a new thread or
modifying the Subject might help.

--
testing
bP