[Users] reply to list

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Sep 21 06:39:33 CEST 2016

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 01:52:08 +0200, Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org>
wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 01:40:48 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 01:25:43 +0200, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> > >A special case is if the mail contains CC headers in which case
> > >these addresses remains as CC (all though very onusual for list
> > >replies).
> >
> > So at least invoking mailing list replies by "All" instead of
> > "Reply" doesn't offend RFC and could cause a different behaviour.
> >
> > However, Claws not necessarily keeps Cc headers.
> >
> I should have written 'CC might remain'. Corner cases cannot always
> with a 100% certainty be identified as list servers in which case
> behavior is undefined ;-)

Unfortunately, CCs are getting quite common on technical mailing lists.
I don't know why. We all know that for mailing lists that send replies
to the list, a simple reply with no CC is adequate and simple.

But noooooooo. Every day I get all sorts of replies to my posts that
are To the list but CC me, or are To me but CC the list, and those
things can end up in the list's folder, or in my INBOX. I and lots of
others invariably tell people "I'm on the list, so please just reply to
the list: I don't want or need duplicate copies." And these otherwise
intelligent people continue CC'ing.

As you mention, behavior on these CCs seems to be indeterminate, so I'm
forced to take the extra step, when replying, of making sure my Reply
to List button, which invokes CLAWS' REPLY-TO-LIST Function, actually
sends it to the list and not to the individual.

SteveT

Steve Litt
== Whose business shall never be mentioned on the Claws-Mail List ==

--
SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28