[Users] reply to list

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Sep 21 01:08:03 CEST 2016

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 00:37:31 +0200, Ralf Mardorf
<silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 23:20:47 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> >Using the Reply button has the same effect as using the
> >[Reply-to-]List button. That is it replies to BOTH the list and the
> >OP on the opensuse list. That is not what I want as I thought I
> >explained in my post.
>
> As already pointed out, Claws does reply to the mailing list only.
> Exceptions are related to the pros and cons I didn't explain in
> details. If you push "Reply" to reply to my mail, then your reply
> will only go to the mailing list, you will not send a mail to me,
> too. If this shouldn't work, then something is fishy by your Claws
> settings. If it should work, then everything is as expected and that
> it doesn't work for replies to some other mails, is related to the
> headers of those original mails, but then again, neither Evolution
> nor Claws full-fill each wanted behaviour, they simply focus on
> different behaviours, that have both advantages and disadvantages,
> e.g. if the default should be that the reply should only go to the
> list, but in some situations a coder wants a direct reply or for an
> open mailing list somebody who isn't subscribe wants a direct reply.
> There is not a singly behaviour right or wrong.
>
> Push "Reply" to reply to this mail and you'll see, that it works.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Of course it does, because you used no "reply to" the Claws mailing
list is set (as it should be) to send replies to the list.

Many other lists don't behave this way, and their admins say "use
reply-to-list". So Dave asked about the reply-to-list button, and you
replied about the Reply button (which Dave didn't mention), and you
told him not to use reply-to-all (which Dave didn't mention and from
context was clear he didn't use or intend to use).

I don't know the answer to Dave's question, so could somebody give
information about the **REPLY-TO-LIST FUNCTION**, which was what he
asked about?

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28