[Users] Cancel startup from password dialog

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Sun Oct 23 17:49:50 CEST 2016

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 21:08:35 +0200
Johan Vromans <jvromans at squirrel.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 09:52:27 -0700
> Chad Wallace <cwallace at lodgingcompany.com> wrote:
>
> > Will this work?
>
> If your ps supports BSD syntax, yes.

This is a strange observation. BSD syntax is normally taken to mean
options written without a '-' character in front, like ps aux.

But bizarrely, FreeBSD uses a version of ps that does use a leading '-'
and in which -C is explained as "Change the way the CPU percentage is
calculated by using a ``raw'' CPU calculation that ignores ``resident''
time (this normally has no effect)."

So in neither case is the comment appropriate AFAICT. Fortunately, the
version of ps used by linux does use -C to mean "Select by command
name".

Cheers, Dave