[Users] Workaround for slow message list scroll and message display

wwp subscript at free.fr
Wed Oct 12 07:53:56 CEST 2016

Hello Steve,

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 19:17:50 -0400 Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Every version of Claws I've tried has been very sensitive to what's
> loaded and using resources on the computer. So when I have three
> different browsers each with 3 different youtube videos, every one of
> which has a plugin-containe process, the whole computer slows down, and
> Claws slows down more than most.
>
> When I kill off the gratuitous browsers and youtubes, system
> performance for the most part returns to normal. But Claws Mail
> continues scrolling slowly and displaying slowly.
>
> The workaround is: Once you've killed all the extraneous processes,
> close and restart Claws. It will be much faster, possibly by an order
> of magnitude. I'm even considering doing a prophylactic Claws restart
> every morning.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> == Whose business shall never be mentioned on the Claws-Mail List ==

What you're describing sounds to me like a desktop system that loads
more in memory than it could/should, thus swapping. Several separated
browsers instances plus CM will clearly eat all your memory and a
certain amount of disk swap, unless you have plenty RAM ("plenty" is
relative to what you eat). What's your desktop RAM+swap amount, BTW?

Even when processes are closed, a remaining one w/ memory pages swapped
to disk will take quite a long time to get fast again, it's up to the
kernel to move swapped (slow) pages to fast memory again. Indeed,
closing/restarting CM "forces" this mechanism. I lived several years
exactly like this (and w/ a running VMWare workstation and with a Gimp
instance often opened, when I'm not using gcc to build big sources)
into a 4GB RAM system, constantly swapping for 2GB at least, the day
I've got 4GB of RAM more (25eur), was definitely another day.

Regards,

--
wwp