[Users] LDAP Server

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Wed Mar 30 22:47:44 CEST 2016

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 10:54:34 -0400 Jerry wrote:

>I am not sure if this is technically a "claws-mail" question, but since
>this is where my problem is originating from, I thought I would start
>here.
>
>I have a small network. OpenLDAP, along with Apache24 are running on one
>PC. Now, if I configure an LDAP server in the address book, and give it
>the numerical IP of the LDAP server, "192.168.1.101" everything works
>fine. However, if I give it the actual web address, "MyWebSite.net" it
>fails to connect. Even if I give it the actual web address of the
>site, it still fails. Only the local IP address works.
>
>I hope I am explaining this correctly. Does anyone have any ideas?

A number of issues can affect this, some of which are:
- assuming your canonical address is seibercom.net, that
  maps to 174.109.28.112, so your traffic needs to go through your
  router which will route it back into your internal network.
- your router may be blocking the imap port, one (or more) of:
  $ grep -i imap /etc/services
  imap2  143/tcp  imap  # Interim Mail Access P 2 and 4
  imap2  143/udp  imap
  imap3  220/tcp        # Interactive Mail Access
  imap3  220/udp        # Protocol v3
  imaps  993/tcp        # IMAP over SSL
  imaps  993/udp
- you don't have the port forwarded in your router's NAT table.
- I don't use IMAP; but many servers restrict access to the local network
  unless configured otherwise (such as adding 0.0.0.0, or specifying the
  interface(s) allowed)

Use wireshark to see what packets are flowing...