[Users] way to append to log file instead of clobbering?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Thu Jun 16 12:43:34 CEST 2016

Hi,

Le Thu, 16 Jun 2016 02:09:09 -0600
"pauriem at gmail.com" <pauriem at gmail.com> a écrit:

> when I do a fetch or send from claws mail, it saves the details of the
> transaction with the remote server in a log file, but the next time I
> do any similar action, that log is replaced with the next one (though
> it saves one previous instance as a back up). Is there a setting that
> tells it to append new transactions to an existing log instead? This
> would be better for me since now I have to copy each log file manually
> if I want to reference it later and keep it from getting clobbered. I
> am using the package for Ubuntu 14.04 Thanks for amy help!

I don't know if such a setting.

However, you could just watch the backup log file and each time it
changes (which is not as often as each time the main log changes), back
it up (possibly using logrotate if you have it available on your
system, so that you can easily control for instance how far back in
time you backup should go, or how many backup files at most you are
willing to keep).

This way, you would end up with:

- CM's current log
- CM's backup log
- as many backups as you like of CM's backup log

HTH.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.