[Users] Claws Windows 7 times out

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Fri Jul 15 11:00:24 CEST 2016

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 00:26:00 +1000
Frank Shann <shannf at netspace.net.au> wrote:

> I attach the log and the backup log after two failed attemots to
> download (time-out).

Hi Frank,

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what goes wrong. The debug log you sent
suggests that Claws Mail starts to download the single message that
your POP3 server had waiting, but never finishes, and the connection
times out. Perhaps the server doesn't send the trailing "." that
means end of a message, so Claws Mail keeps on waiting for more lines,
until the timeout.

It's hard to figure out anything more without physically sitting
at your computer. Since you're using unencrypted POP3 connection (quite
rare today), you could:

1. Try a manual connection using any telnet program you can find, e.g.
putty.exe. Just connect to your server, and enter all the commands you
see in network log as outgoing ("POP3>"), supplying your password
instead of *****, if course.

2. Try using program like Wireshark to capture complete network traffic
from a POP3 session where Claws Mail times out again, and see if
there's something wrong or missing.

Regards,
--
Andrej