[Users] password protection

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 29 14:42:46 CET 2016

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 13:56:45 +0100, Michael wrote:
>What if chuser saves attachments which rocketmouse wants to open ?
>
>This is not a rethorical question, but a daily situation.

Since chuser is just in the group of rocketmouse, chuser only can
read, but can't write to rocketmouse's home and since rocketmouse even
isn't in the group of chuser, rocketmouse even can't read chuser's home.
Actually this is the reason for me to run Sylpheed as user chuser by
a user rocketmouse session. However, you could create a shared folder
with the needed permissions, but I don't know how to solve one issue,
that for sure is solvable:

[rocketmouse at archlinux Desktop]$ mkdir shared_test_folder
[rocketmouse at archlinux Desktop]$ ls -hAl
total 4.0K
drwxr-xr-x 2 rocketmouse rocketmouse 4.0K Jan 29 14:27 shared_test_folder
[rocketmouse at archlinux Desktop]$ chmod g+w shared_test_folder/
[rocketmouse at archlinux Desktop]$ ls -hAl
total 4.0K
drwxrwxr-x 2 rocketmouse rocketmouse 4.0K Jan 29 14:27 shared_test_folder
[rocketmouse at archlinux Desktop]$ ls -hAl shared_test_folder/
total 8.0K
-rw------- 1 chuser chuser 4.2K Jan 29 14:29 Avast_Account_–_please_confirm.eml

Here it ends ...

[rocketmouse at archlinux Desktop]$ cat shared_test_folder/Avast_Account_–_please_confirm.eml
cat: shared_test_folder/Avast_Account_–_please_confirm.eml: Permission denied

... even after using a shared group.

[rocketmouse at archlinux Desktop]$ chown rocketmouse:storage shared_test_folder/
[rocketmouse at archlinux Desktop]$ ls -hAl
total 4.0K
drwxrwxr-x 2 rocketmouse storage 4.0K Jan 29 14:29 shared_test_folder
[rocketmouse at archlinux Desktop]$ ls -hAl shared_test_folder/
total 36K
-rw------- 1 chuser chuser 4.2K Jan 29 14:29 Avast_Account_–_please_confirm.eml
-rw------- 1 chuser chuser  25K Jan 29 14:36 Welcome!_Just_one_more_thing....eml