[Users] password protection

Chad Wallace cwallace at lodgingcompany.com
Thu Jan 28 21:47:48 CET 2016

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 21:16:13 +0100
Michael <codejodler at gmx.ch> wrote:

> No, folks, look.
>
> They will not do log in and out.
>
> And the account i'm talking about already IS a private account on a
> private computer. In technical terms, the security already is 100%
> comopromised, as standard situation. It's just they don't do any
> tedious stuff. They leave the desktop to each other all the time.
> They leave the desktop online, and walk away. Or the kids ask, can we
> watch youtube or play games on your computer and yes, of course. Then
> they occupy it maybe for hours. Please note that it's not their
> concern, to begin with, it's rather only me acting out as their tech
> department. So there has to be the most minimal requirement to the
> owner, and that's only typing in a password, one time.

You could mount the .claws-mail directory on-demand as an encrypted
partition (either an actual partition, or mapped to a regular file), which you
then have to unlock using a password before claws will work.  And,
whenever your encrypted partition isn't mounted, the original contents
of that directory would show... so you could set up a decoy account if you
wanted to.

If you don't need it encrypted, you could place all your stuff in some
obscure location, and "bind mount" it to your .claws-mail when needed.

Of course, I'm assuming everything is contained within the .claws-mail
directory, which it is for me with IMAP, but might not be the case in all
setups.

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company