[Users] password protection

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Jan 28 20:14:15 CET 2016

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:00:50 -0800, Dan Lyke wrote:
>But if you're asking how to run Claws as a different user than the one
>currently logged in to the X desktop, I don't think this is a huge
>problem. You should be able to set up a script that can "sudo -u
>restricteduser claws-mail".

Somebody once called "xhost +" a sledgehammer, however, if you prefer
to do so, you could use xhost more carefully, but it works.

I'm not running claws this way, but sylpheed and a few other apps.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep -v "#" /usr/local/bin/chuser

xhost +
gksudo -u chuser "$*"
xhost -
exit

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep chuser .config/fbpanel/default | head -n2
	  action = chuser sylpheed
	  action = chuser qupzilla

Regards,
Ralf