[Users] Bug candidate - Trash button has an incorrect name [SOLUTION]

Chad Wallace cwallace at lodgingcompany.com
Sun Jan 10 19:28:38 CET 2016

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 18:51:54 +0100
KA <soldes at gmx.fr> wrote:

> Ok, reading you all, it starts to make sense ...
> So eventually Slavko was right this is a translation issue !!
>
> Why ?
> Because :
>
> In English, most of the time, verbs use the very same word as nouns.
> Example : "a trash" "to trash"
> Whilst on other languages, we use different nouns
> for example in French, "corbeille" you will absolutely never find a
> verb for it ... apart from "effacer" which is completely different.
>
> Now it appears that these buttons have been incorrectly translated in
> some non-English languages and if you want to make an action which is
> to open you recycle bin I am sorry but you WILL DELETE YOUR CURRENT
> MESSAGE, this is a fact ...

For French, I would suggest "jeter" rather than "effacer".  Moving a
message to trash is a different thing than deleting it.  When
you use the Trash button, you move the mesage to a different folder,
and you can then get it back if you want to--much like if you throw
something into your garbage bin at home. On the other hand, deleting a
message removes it immediately and irreparably.  "Delete" also has a
separate menu item and icon apart from the "Trash" one, so you
wouldn't want two different icons with similar names doing different
things.

For Spanish, maybe "descartar" or "desechar"?  Basically, a word that
evokes tossing something away, rather than making it not exist.

I would leave the English alone, because the word "Trash" works as
both a noun and a verb.

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company