[Users] Strange characters displayed in email

»Q« boxcars at gmx.net
Fri Feb 19 21:05:17 CET 2016

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:28:41 -0500
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 13:10:50 -0600, »Q« replied:

> > My guess is that what you're seeing are supposed to be non-breaking
> > space characters encoded by Word as Windows-1252.  If Fancy thinks
> > (or guesses) that the encoding is UTF-8, it would display those
> > characters as 'Â'. If that's the case, you should be able to get a
> > better view by changing the character encoding in the view menu.
> >
> > If my guess above is right, the problem is really that Outlook isn't
> > properly specifying the charset, leaving Claws/Fancy without a way
> > to tell that it's really Windows-1252.

That will force Fancy to treat it as UTF-8, but my guess is that it's
really Windows-1252.  If using
makes it look okay, then my guess is probably right, but to tell for
sure would require looking at the raw message in a hex editor.  (OTOH,
if changing the encoding to Windows-1252 doesn't make it look okay, my
guess is almost certainly wrong -- I say 'almost' because I don't
know how changing the viewer encoding in Claws affects Fancy.)