[Users] broken links in emails

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Wed Aug 31 21:56:48 CEST 2016

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:32:09 +0100
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 21:14:44 +0100
> Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I receive some emails that include hypertext links. One of them
> > doesn't work. The link in the mail as received is, for example:
> >
> > http://planningpages.midsuffolk.gov.uk/online-applications/centralDistribution.do?caseType=Application&keyVal=_MSUFF_DCAPR_109532
> >
> > but when I click on it to open it, the link that is opened is:
> >
> > http://planningpages.midsuffolk.gov.uk/online-applications/centralDistribution.do?caseType=Application\\&keyVal=_MSUFF_DCAPR_109532
> >
> > It appears that claws is rewriting the URL (two added backslashes)
> > and that causes the request to fail with an error page.
> >
> > Does anybdoy recognize this problem?
>
> The most likely reason, it seems to me, is that you are talking about
> an html message and this (with the 2 extra slashes) is actually what
> the link contains. i.e. it's not a problem of Claws-Mail, but a
> problem with the message.
>
> Feel free to send (forward as attachment) me (off list) a copy of one
> of the messages which does not seem to work.

It is indeed an HTML mail:

but the text of the link in the message is what I posted, according to
claws. So I think it is a problem with claws.

> Upgrading Claws-Mail will not help because, iirc, nothing has
> changed in relation to link parsing, and certainly the problem you
> describe has never been described before.

I rather hope the other posters are correct in suggesting that there
has been a change then. But given the doubt you have cast, I think it
is even more important to know what the change was before upgrading.

Cheers, Dave