[Users] deleting message does not advance anymore

Charles A Edwards cae at eslrahc.com
Thu Aug 11 17:08:06 CEST 2016

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:22:21 +0100
Paul wrote:

> > So why make the default value different from the old default
> > action?
>
> Whether it's different or not depends on the sort order. The change
> has made it consistent regardless of the sort order.
>
> > This new behaviour of a backward step for 'delete' is a backward
> > step.
>
> See above.
>
> > Does no-one consider the user before making what seems to me
> > to be a bizarre change?
>
> What do you think? Are you serious?
>
> > Thanks, Ethy, for raising this issue, one which has also been
> > wasting my time.
>
> It's been wasting a lot of time, because even before Ethy's post
> there have been several queries, all about the same thing. All, or
> most, of which were answered in the Release Notes.

I was just going to let this slide.
But as you seem intent on blaming the user for not checking the 'NEWS'

"* Preferences: The 'next_on_delete' hidden preference now applies to
  trashing or moving, in addition to deleting, a message."

Where in that notice am I informed that this "improvement", without any
confirmation from me, will alter the current settings and behavior for
my claws installation?

As this has indeed resulted in several threads in question and
complaint of this implementation it could give notice that changes of
this nature might be better received if done in
Configuration/Preferences rather than "hidden preference".
This is especially true since clawsker, the gui for making changes in
the hidden preferences, only supports certain of the fields with
'next_on_delete' being one of the several that is not are not present.

    Charles

--
'Never trust a ruler who puts his faith in tunnels and bunkers and
escape routes. The chances are that his heart isn't in the