[Users] "vcalendar" crashes claws-mail version 3.14.0 on Windows 10 PRO 64 amd machine

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Thu Aug 11 12:56:49 CEST 2016

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 14:08:29 -0400
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 18:01:08 +0200, Andrej Kacian stated:
>
> >It won't make the fix come any sooner, since I'm probably the only
> >one who will be working on it, but if you have some spare time, I
> >guess it might help other people who run into this bug before it's
> >fixed.
>
> I do have a question. Apparently, if I am reading the wiki correctly,
> the problem exists with *.nix systems, hence the "Unix Millennium Bug"
> name. Apparently, this problem does not exist under MS Windows. Since
> I am running the MS Windows version of claws-mail, why can't you use
> the same method that Microsoft does to store the date? If there were
> a 64 bit version of claws-mail, that problem would not exist
> anywhere. In any case, thanks for your assistance with this problem.

Of course, a 64-bit version would solve this issue. In fact, I already
have built it and am testing it, but it will take time before it is
stable - there are several weird bugs popping up, and it will take some
time to find their causes and fix them.

By the way, after trying the 64-bit vcalendar, it indeed got past the
offending event where it crashed before, but now it crashes on another
one - I have found three more bugs in vcalendar, which only show up in
this 64-bit Windows build. :) I already have fixes for two of them.

Regards,
--
Andrej