[Users] Claws Mail 3.14.0 unleashed!!

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Aug 7 16:42:25 CEST 2016

On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 09:30:16 +0100, Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk>
wrote:

> * Passwords: The password storage method has changed. All passwords
>   are now stored in a separate file, (~/.claws-mail/passwordstorerc),
>   and use a stronger encryption than previously. Existing passwords
>   are moved to the new file automatically, in the old format. The
>   new format will be used whenever old passwords are changed or when
>   a Master Passphrase is used. All new passwords are saved using the
>   new format, irrespective of whether a Master Passphrase is used or
>   not. Further information can be found here:
>   http://www.claws-mail.org/doc/password_encryption.txt

Sounds pretty cool.

Just so I understand: ~/.claws-mail/passwordstorerc should be owned by
the normal user whose home directory is ~, and it should be
permissioned either 400 or 600 so that nobody else can look at it,
right? And any backup procedure should be based on the fact that it can
be read only by its owner or root, right?

One more thing: I use Claws-Mail strictly as a window into my local
Dovecot IMAP server, and the only password I use is to the Dovecot
server, so given my situation, this change won't affect me, right?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
== Whose business shall never be mentioned on the Claws-Mail List ==

--
SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2016 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
  Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr