[Users] Insert browser URL link into open 'compose' mail -- the "smartphone chat" way

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Apr 24 12:24:22 CEST 2016

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:16:05 +0100, Paul wrote:
>On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:56:47 +0200 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> The "mailto" feature isn't available for all browsers
>
>Although the question specifically stated "firefox and claws", so
>your responses are way off and Michael's A. Yetto's response was bang
>on.

Paul, you are completely wrong, since your FLOSS attitude isn't
empathic, if it comes to care about the smart phone native kids needs.

Actually I explained that not all Firefox users have a "File" menu
available and it's also not visible by the "Open menu"-thingy as long
as it's not customised, I guess it was not bad to mention this. However,
users tend to install other apps, especially those smart phone addicted
app shop kids and then they will be pissed off, if not all apps allow
the same work-flow. Try to empathize with those kids. It's unworldly to
expect that they'll stay with Firefox forever, most likely the really
need google-chrome-stable for all their video needs, but in addition
they likely still will use Firefox too and expect the same work-flow
for both browsers.

However, in the end Michael's A. Yetto's response was not bang on,
neither my, nor yours. You blame me for not reading carefully enough,
that's right, but we all didn't read carefully enough.

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 11:17:20 +0200, Michael wrote:
>But what you have in mind, is just not what i was asking about. Read
>my mail carefully: I was talking about another workflow, when you
>*already started* writing a mail, and want to insert the URL into
>*that existing* text.
>
>Because THIS is the standard situation, and besides, not only for
>them, but also for me: I talk about stuff in a mail reply, then
>suddenly find that i want to insert a link. And that often repeatedly.
>(in the same mail).

Then my idea still is the closest to your needs, a clipboard script.
But it's super tricky and quite useless. Interacting with a claws mail
in the drafts folder of a mail you're editing at the same time with the
Claws composer, leads to nothing. I tested it while writing this mail

$ pluma Claws\ Mail/draft/49

:). IMO getting used to selecting a link and Ctrl+C in one app and to
Ctrl+V at a wanted cursor position in the other app is the best
approach.

Regards,
Ralf