[Users] Insert browser URL link into open 'compose' mail -- the "smartphone chat" way

Michael codejodler at gmx.ch
Sat Apr 23 21:14:30 CEST 2016

The standard situation is: Writing an email and trying to add a certain link, let's say, youtube. You go find it in the browser. Then you want to insert it into your mail.

The standard way would be, copy the URL and paste into the mail. So far, so good, where would be the problem ? It's the users are (not me) smartphone chat generation and i'm still trying to encourage them using a linux desktop instead.  The above standard way is still some clicks or keys, but they are used to "send to" -> "whatsapp/skye/whatever" -> (select chat) which of course is very convenient.

When the young folks i'm talking about do work on a mail, and suddenly want to insert a link, they won't like to to have to do so many clicks, or totally different actions than they are used to, when it's so easy in smartphones. It's just another reason they would not like doing email in general. Fact is, they don't need it at all. But it's my goal to encourage them, so i have no choice than to accept their customs.

So i wonder if the said process chain can be 'emulated' with firefox and claws.

I found the 'send to mail' addon online but that's only half of the story. What if the mail (the "chat") where the link is wanted, already is opened ?

he situation is, we have (1) an right-now-active browser tab and (2) an open compose mail.

So, does anybody know, if there already is a tool, that lets them insert the active firefox browser tab (the URL link) into the active mail composition of claws mail ? Of otherwise, would it be difficult to code by python plugin, or claws 'action' ?

tia mi