[Users] Maintaining local mailboxes

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Sep 16 00:05:19 CEST 2015

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 23:35:04 +0200
Andrej Kacian <andrej at kacian.sk> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 17:18:40 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > > I was running my own Dovecot running on localhost, but gave up on
> > > it since it's mor complicated setup and have need to
> > > (occasionally) access my email from Androidp phone which means
> > > that my machine should be online 24/7, right?
> >
> > Abso-lutely! My desktop runs 24/7 anyway.
>
> An alternative is a low-powered PC in your closet running the IMAP
> server. 192.168.0.2 is a bit slower than 127.0.0.1, but almost
> imperceptibly.

That's an excellent alternative, especially because it's likely you'll
have several such servers that can be run on the closet box. And if the
OP's house is wired anything like mine, with gigabit wired ethernet,
response will be quite fast.

By the way, when on the road, response can be pretty slow, especially
at those hotels with turtle-slow internet. But the good news is, your
closet based box keeps pulling in new messages from your ISP at a high
rate.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust