[Users] Sent emails are never received (with gmail SMTP)

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Mon Sep 7 00:21:05 CEST 2015

On Sun, 6 Sep 2015 23:33:31 +0200 Francis Moreau wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm having an issue when sending email through gmail SMTP. All seems
>to work fine, no error when sending emails but it seems that emails
>are lost somewhere and are never received. Could anybody help me to
>sort this out ?

So many possibilities:
- wrong address for recipient (most common for my users)
- mail is in recipients spam/trash
- recipient has broken filtering
- spam filters
- sender blocked by recipient or SPF
- ...

Assuming you are on Linux, use "dig" to confirm your target has valid MX
records, e.g.:

$ dig claws-mail.org mx
[snip]
;; ANSWER SECTION:
claws-mail.org.    10799   IN      MX      10 mx.colino.net.
[snip]

So, mail sent to this list actually goes to Colin's server...

You should do some basic checking with your recipients... they, or their
email providers may have logs...

>Also I have a question is it possible to display the number of emails
>inside a single thread ?

Not that I know of.  You could open an enhancement request; but I'm not
sure that would get on anyone's priority...

>Thanks.
HTH