[Users] Claws Mail 3.13 - Windows install issue

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Mon Oct 12 22:10:26 CEST 2015

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:02:27 +0100
Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:

> The installer changed with 3.12.0, I would not expect it to deal with
> entries put there by the old installer.
>
> Best to search for and remove the old stuff.

Actually, the installer changed more significantly in this release.

Originally, since we use build system inherited from Gpg4win, we used
also their installer, customized for our use (strings would refer to
"Claws Mail" instead of "Gpg4win", cosmetic things like that).

However, the installer was overly complicated for our use, since
Gpg4win is a collection of components, some of which are optional, and
others depend on each other, and do not always need to be installed.
Claws Mail package, on the other hand, installs everything
unconditionally, and therefore the installer does not need to be as
complex internally.

And now that I'm looking at the installer code that checks for old
versions, I realize that there is a logic error that causes it to
display incorrect message (the one Edward quoted in first post).

It will take me a while to work out all the kinks, since NSIS is quite
unintuitive. In the meantime, best way is to just uninstall any old
version, install the new one, and make sure that the installed links
(desktop, start menu, quicklaunch) point to the correct new executable.

Regards,
--
Andrej