[Users] Gmail blocking Claws at IMAP auth

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 08:55:44 CET 2015

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:41:01 +0100 (CET)
"Piotr" <ps.claws at smyrak.com> wrote:

> Are you guys aware of the issue? It seems that Claws has been put by
> Google into "less secure apps" category for some reason.
>
> There is a workaround to the problem that allows users of "less
> secure apps" to disable the block.
> https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255
>
> Although I really would like to understand what's wrong with Claws.
> Anybody?

There's nothing wrong with Claws Mail. This is an attempt by google
at world domination. Any app that doesn't use OAuth2.0 as a log-in
mechanism gets slandered as a 'less secure app'. They seem to be
aiming at eradicating all other forms of gmail use. They are
spreading FUD. In some ways google is the new microsoft.

So rather than 'allow less secure apps', the gmail option should be
called 'allow non-OAuth2.0 log-ins'.

Here's a prediction, soon anyone that uses a browser that is not
google-chrome to log-in to their gmail web interface will be told
they're not using a secure app.

with regards

Paul