[Users] Gmail blocking Claws at IMAP auth

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed Nov 4 08:52:23 CET 2015

Hi Piotr,

Le Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:41:01 +0100 (CET)
"Piotr" <ps.claws at smyrak.com> a écrit:

> Hi,
>
> Am I the only one to face Gmail refusing to accept IMAP logins from
> Claws?
>
> [21:36:36] IMAP4> Logging ***@***.com to imap.gmail.com using LOGIN
> [21:36:37] IMAP4< Please log in via your web browser:
> https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 (Failure)
> [21:36:37] *** error: IMAP4< Alert: Please log in via your web
> browser: https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754
> (Failure) [21:36:37] ** warning: IMAP error on imap.gmail.com: LOGIN
> error [21:36:37] IMAP4< Error logging in to imap.gmail.com
>
> I am using version 3.11.1-1ubuntu1ppa1 from Ubuntu's PPA:
> https://launchpad.net/~claws-mail/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
>
> Are you guys aware of the issue? It seems that Claws has been put by
> Google into "less secure apps" category for some reason.
>
> There is a workaround to the problem that allows users of "less secure
> apps" to disable the block.
> https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255
>
> Although I really would like to understand what's wrong with Claws.
> Anybody?

Did you read the URL sent back by the GMail server above, about logging
in on the Web first? This might be needed so that GMail trusts your IP
address, you never know.

Also, I have recently hit a slightly different error message for GMail
POP when I recreated my gmail account in Claws: at first I used my
"main" GMail password, and this was rejected with an indication that I
had to generate and use an "app password" instead. Maybe the same
applies to IMAP.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.