[Users] Spellchecking is broken

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Sun May 31 15:19:37 CEST 2015

Bonjour Ralf,

Le Sun, 31 May 2015 14:49:42 +0200, Ralf Mardorf
<info.mardorf at rocketmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> to get rid of "error: unknown encoding UTF8: using iso88591 as
> fallback" I needed to change UTF8 to UTF-8
> in /usr/share/hunspell/en_US.aff.
>
> Now some words can't be used with upper case. The words "Now" and "The"
> are marked as incorrect, while "now" and "the" are still ok.
>
> I also got "error: unknown encoding UTF8: using iso88591 as
> fallback" when using Evolution, but after changing UTF8 to UTF-8
> Evolution's spell checking is still ok.
>
> My English is broken, but I suspect beginning a sentence with "My" or
> "The" should be ok. Btw. "Evolution's" is also marked as wrong, while
> "Evolution" is "Ok".
>
> :(
>
> Any ideas?

My knee-jerk reaction would be:

1) don't manually change anything in a file under /usr/share unless
   *absolutely* necessary, and

2) find out why the fallback for the unknown UTF8 is iso-8859-1, which
   is quite different in name from it, rather than UTF-8, which is quite
   close in name (and obviously the right fallback).

Once you get /this/ problem solved, then re-run your spellchecking
tests. If they disappeared, bingo. Otherwise, well, at least you are
now testing on a somewhat saner system.

> $ pacman -Q claws-mail-git hunspell
> claws-mail-git 3.11.1.r100.gf3d3586-1
> hunspell 1.3.3-1