[Users] How to move the preferences folder to another dir?

Brad Rogers brad at fineby.me.uk
Tue May 26 15:19:29 CEST 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015 07:07:40 +0200
"Ben Stover" <bxstover at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hello Ben,

>Can I simply move the old pref files+subfolders to the new location and
>start Claws-Mail with a cmdline parameter like
>claws-mail.exe -prefdir="D:\mail\claws\myprefs\"

That should work, but keep a backup copy of your prefs (somewhere safe,
obviously), just in case. At the cmdline prompt, type claws-mail --help
to get the exact command you need.  In Linux, it's
--alternate-config-dir. It's probably the same in Windows, but it's best
to be sure.

>Maybe I can move the pref dir to a subfolder of the installation
>directory and Claws-Mail will auto-detect it without having to pass a
>parameter...?

Not AFAIAA.  CM looks for the default dir, and if it's not found,
creates it and starts the "first time use" set up.

--
 Regards  _
You never listen to a word that I said