[Users] OT: BUG with update marking all email as "read"

»Q« boxcars at gmx.net
Sat May 9 21:11:01 CEST 2015

On Sat, 9 May 2015 12:59:44 -0500
»Q« <boxcars at gmx.net> wrote:

>  <20141201190853.04e66c53 at thewildbeast>
>  <20141202102327.2327730d at gandalf.local.home>
>  <20141202175959.7d0f0fb1 at archlinux>
>  <20150508230825.2ef685a0 at grimm.local.home>

> You made the post from a machine called grimm, which shows in the
> Message-ID (MID) header.  As I reply to it, that grimm MID will be
> prepended to the your post's References header to form the References
  ^^^^^^^^^
> header of my post.

I got it backwards.  The grimm MID was *appended* to the previous stuff,
exactly as it should be.

> there is something weird in your own headers

s/something/nothing

(Unimportant:  I have well understood how References headers work for a
long time, and it should not be possible to make such a mistake unless
I'm typing without thinking.  But when I typed that I really *was*
thinking, trying to be clear, and re-reading to make sure everything I
typed was correct.  When I typed and re-read that, I was *sure* the
parent must come first, prepended.  So sure that I just came very close
to asking this list why Claws was doing things wrong and why this Claws
bug wasn't causing breakage all over the place.  I now understand that
I have slipped into an alternate universe exactly the same as my own
except that one tiny bit of RFCs 2822 and 5322 is different.)