[Users] Microsoft mail accounts frequently download duplicate messages

Tim Zakharov himemsys36 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 22 17:00:38 CET 2015

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 07:59:47 -0400
Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 06:36:34 -0500 Tim Zakharov wrote:
>
> >Probably not a Claws problem?  I have a total of 6 POP accounts set
> >up in Claws 3.11.1, two of which are MS (hotmail.com and
> >outlook.com).  I frequently get duplicate messages only in the two
> >MS accounts and so I use the Tools->Delete Duplicated Messages
> >feature to "clean up" about once a week.  Is this a known issue with
> >MS mail accounts or do I have something mis-configured?
>
> Have you checked the envelopes of these messages?  This is usually
> caused by signing up with more than one account to whatever site is
> sending the duplicates -- your query is otherwise content-free for
> analysis purposes. _______________________________________________

I just checked the headers one one email that redelivered, and
compared it to the headers of the one already in my inbox. The headers
are identical between the two. No differences at all.  This particular
email is a confirmation that a bank transfer was scheduled. It's not
being forwarded, copied, etc. to any other address, nor being
delivered from multiple addresses.

Again, this only happens on the two MS email accounts.  I also have
(set up in Claws) two AOL accounts, an ATT account, and one from my
ISP.  There seems to be something about the MS accounts that either
1) misidentify (on the mail server) read messages as new
2) cause Claws to misinterpret whether a message is read or not

My guess is it's a MS issue, not Claws, but I wanted to bring it up
here to see if it was something known.

If I had to guess how often it happens, I'd estimate about 1-5% of all
emails delivered.  Not a lot.  But enough that I may have to clean out
50 duplicate messages per month.